What to know when enjoying Golden's public spaces

Getting outside and enjoying our public spaces is something that everyone should do.

The local government taxes you pay every year help keep these spaces looking good and open to everyone. And, with the nice weather that spring brings, it's easy to see why as an individual, business or organization you may want to host activities outside. Did you know that to do this you may need a Temporary Licence of Occupation (TLO)?

A TLO is required for a variety of things, including outdoor patios, food trucks, raffle stands and charity barbeques, sporting events, weddings, street performers and parades - to name a few. Costs are determined based upon the type, length, location and scope of use, but are usually very affordable. Not-for-profit groups can usually secure TLOs for no charge.

At Town Hall, the Legislative Services department handles the TLO approval process. Applications that include all the basics can generally be approved in a couple of days. More elaborate plans for business and structures may take a little longer as the department needs to take a balanced approach to meeting everyone's needs. Generally you should apply one to four weeks ahead of your proposed event.

"We are here to help and our team is more than willing to work with you through the steps - including the three most important: providing a site diagram, a letter of intent and securing insurance," says Viv Thoss, Manager of Legislative Services. "We want you to have a successful event and will work with you to create a great experience for your guests or patrons that they won't soon forget!"

The Town has a policy in place for TLOs in order to establish guidelines that are fair for everyone. Having well animated public spaces, successful events and vibrant spaces are valuable to all members of the community. Ensuring that these events happening on public lands are safe, well managed and insured are one of the responsibilities of Town Hall staff.

To apply for a TLO, you can download an application online and bring it to Town Hall - it's easy! Fill out the application, include other relevant documentation as required by the type of activity you are applying for to carry out and submit to the Town of Golden.

The friendly Legislative Services staff is here to help! If you have more questions, you can contact Viv Thoss at viv.thoss@golden.ca or by calling 250-344-2271 ext. 224. You can also check out the information online, by clicking on the "Apply For" tab on our home page. There you can select Temporary Licence of Occupation and access a variety of information about the process.

Public Notices